Pages

Monday, May 6, 2013

Review: LeaderShift

LeaderShift: A Call for Americans to Finally Stand Up and LeadLeaderShift: A Call for Americans to Finally Stand Up and Lead by Orrin Woodward
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Wow! What a profound book! I had a little trouble with the business parable, because my brain does not work that way, but in all I think I was able to grasp the magnitude of what the authors are trying to teach Americans. We must all become citizen-leaders. No way around it.

In general I found the reading style very easy to understand, other than as I stated above, the business terms are beyond me sometimes. I wish I understood it better. If I did, I would most likely be more successful in business.

I can see influences of Cleon Skousen in this book and the definitions of what needs to change and the proposals made by the fictional characters to the Constitution are definitely in that category of Skousen-es thinking. I truly love Skousen's books and logic, so this greatly appeals to me on many levels. The type of think-tank the book describes is beyond anything I've ever experienced and I would not know the first thing about forming, attending, or becoming part of one.

As I read Part IV, I kept thinking in my mind, "the general citizenship is too lazy to do this." Who will put down there remotes, phones, tablets, etc. long enough to do the kind of work this new direction for America needs from its citizens? In the Founders time, they did not have the menagerie of entertainment. Yet, they also spent more time in the basics without the time saving conveniences we have. So, did they really have more time on their hands?

I hate to say it, but I don't think most people will buy in to the idea. Most will say, "Wow! Cool book." and then put it down and never do anything about what they learned. I guess that is why the book talks repeatedly about the 10% needed to make this happen. But will 10% even take the time? I hope so!

My last thought is about myself. What part do I play? Where should my efforts be spent? Who else can I bring along? What do I do?

View all my reviews

4 comments:

  1. Hello how are you? Great review of a great book! My name is Billy, I would love to talk with you about this book. You see Orrin has developed a leadership business that is exploding right now. In the book David explained how we need entrepreneurs to get financial free and start devoting there time to helping our country. How do you do that one might ask. How about develop 2 multi million dollar companies and share the money with a community of people reading, listening, associating, learning and growing everyday. WE WILL FIND THE 10 Percent!!! Will you help??

    Thanks for your time and please contact me at billy.Kidney22@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure if the comment from Billy Kidney is an advertisement or not. Use your judgment about emailing him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the review Celeste! I read the book and also wondered who will “stand up and lead?” I thought Woodward and DeMille’s ideas pretty radical. Then again it was pretty radical for the founders of our nation to propose the system that they did; and pledge their lives, their wealth, and their sacred honor. In that light, being at least familiar with the founding documents doesn’t seem like much of a sacrifice to the end of preserving our liberties. “What do I do?” Indeed! I foresee a city council meeting for me and my 7th graders. Is there a way to make that fun?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know how to make a city council meeting fun. In fact, the last School District meeting I attended with my teens was pretty boring and we were not treated with welcoming arms. Before the meeting started we were questioned about why we were attending and they tried to convince us that this was not the best meeting to attend. It turned out there were discussing Sex Education and a new pro-experimentation agenda. I already knew that was the topic and my kids walked away pretty shocked at what they were going to teach their peers at public school. The meeting ran long and they did not leave enough time for the public to respond. Rather convenient of them.

    I also thought a few of the ideas in LeaderShift were radical. I don't know how we could get an entire community to come out for a neighborhood meeting. They might miss "Glee"! In my opinion we need people to take part in governance and overseeing governance or we will lose everything. This means I need to take the time as well.

    ReplyDelete