Pages

Monday, April 22, 2013

Review: Men Are From Mars, Women Are From Venus

Men Are from Mars, Women Are from VenusMen Are from Mars, Women Are from Venus by John Gray
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Men Are From Mars, Women Are From Venus has been around for several years. I remember my mom reading it, yet I don't remember it helping them much. I guess maybe that is why I never felt impressed to read it myself.

I ended up with a free copy from a church Free Sale. I can't pass by free books very often. My daughter read it and told me, "This is so you guys (my husband and I)." So, I had to read it to see if she was right.

And she was...to an extent.

I do see the parallels with many of the generalizations Gray makes in his defining of Men and Women, their differences, and the problems when Men and Women communicate. I could also tell this book was obviously written by a man because of the many times he tells women to just accept men the way they are. I've always had trouble with books that do that because so many men in my life have been abusive. Why should women accept men the way they are if they are abusive people? That just never set well with me.

My husband is not an abusive person, so he doesn't fit my statements above. After I got over my initial dislike of some of the content, I did find many chapters on better communication and getting over past hurts that cause problems in our relationships as the main reason for reading this book. For those chapters and thoughts, I rated this book a 4.

In all, I think most people can find some good information in this book. Unless of course you are a homosexual, then this won't help you in your relationship at all.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment