Pages

Monday, April 15, 2013

Trauma and the Phases of Learning

I'm going to go further out on a limb here than I have ever gone before.

**Deep Breath**

Here goes nothin'...

I am a child of domestic violence. In other words, I grew up in an abusive home. I saw a lot of violence over the years, even up into my adult life, at the hands of my father. I experienced many acts of violence personally over the years.

My family will most likely spew expletives at me for divulging this information in cyber space. I can understand that they want to keep it quiet. However, I have learned some things that need to be shared. I've decided that part of my healing is to speak out and to share.

Trauma - How it Affects Learning

As a foster parent, I attend many classes and training on everything from dealing with children who have been abused to various types of abuse and how to identify the abuse. Through all of this, it has been shared with many professionals what I experienced and how I have overcome. I am not healed completely, yet I have come so far that I can now help others.

I recently learned about trauma that can happen in the womb and early years of childhood and how detrimental these traumas are to the brain, and thus, to the ability to learn. For example, a child in the womb actually experiences the same fear and trauma that the mother feels at the time of the trauma. The brain can be hard-wired to be anxious and fearful before the child is even born into the world.

The brain becomes hard-wired in the emotional centers of the brain by the time a child is 3 years old. All traumas before this time will forever be part of the brain. Older children can experience the same types of trauma and have life-altering affects. This is not to say that children or adults cannot overcome, it just makes it harder to overcome.

My Own Traumas - My Child's Traumas

While I was pregnant with my youngest child, my father threw a chair at me. I narrowly missed getting hit in the stomach with the chair, which had it connected with my body, I'm sure I would have lost the baby. Luckily my mother helped me maneuver out of the way at the last second. I never set foot in my parent's home again. However, the damage was no where near done. Throughout the next year my father plagued me with threats and fear raged in my heart.

I now realize how much this damaged my child neurologically from the womb and during his first year of life. I also know why this affects his learning. He is a very bright person. But, he struggles with moving into and staying in Scholar Phase. His fears get the best of him. He can't help it, it is part of his brain.

I know that all phases are 80 years, give or take. So, I am not discouraged anymore. I know that my new-found knowledge of trauma and how it has affected me and my children will help me move further on the Path to knowing how to best inspire myself and my children.

Overcoming and Learning

A few years ago I heard a talk by Dr. Shannon Brooks, co-author of Thomas Jefferson Education for Teens. He talked about traumatized children and how difficult it is for them to learn. He spoke mostly about children in public school who are worried all the time and so their focus is directed at survival rather than learning.

I remember coming away from that seminar event pondering about the child who is homeschooled but has been abused outside of the home. Maybe from bullying in scouting or in the neighborhood. Or, the child that was molested by a babysitter or older neighborhood child. How does this translate if the home is loving and safe, but an outside trauma has harmed the child?

I believe that any trauma will stunt the learning process. From Maslow's Heirarchy of Needs we can see that when a person is focused on their safety they are not able to operate in the higher levels.

Leadership Education Has the Answers

I love Leadership Education with it's extremely thoughtful process and detail to personal needs. Yet, in all of the books I have not found the exact answers to how to overcome traumatized individual needs. I guess that is what my task is now, to find the answers. TJED/Leadership Education is the way! I just need to find the individualized things to bring it all into play in the way that my son needs.

Traditional methodology has not met the criteria so far. Yet, I know there are answers. There are classics that meet these needs. There are people and mentors that can meet the challenge.

For me, there have been several Healing classics that have helped me personally to overcome my traumas and re-write the lessons of Core Phase.
So...off I go into the wild unknown once again in search of more inspiring classics!


4 comments:

  1. Wow. What big things to think about and consider! I find myself thinking back to my pregnancies and about the feelings and culture in my own home. I know that we can all heal from traumatic experiences and come out of them stronger.

    I'm so grateful for the Atonement of Jesus Christ! It has the power to literally heal us and turn darkness into light and despair into hope. I have seen it in my own life, and I'm sure you have in yours, too. :) We are not alone in our struggles!

    Big hugs,
    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Abuse has lasting effects. I was abused as a very young child. I don't remember the abuse itself. I am only left with the after-effects. For a very long time I believed I was worthless - that if anyone really knew the "truth" they could never possibly love me. So I set off on self-destructive behaviors - I think subconsciously I was really trying to end my life. But by the grace of God - He preserved my life and lead me to people who would share the truth with me and help me to begin on the path to healing. You are right Celeste - healing is a life-long process. I too am grateful for my Savior and the healing He has brought into my life. I look forward to the resurrection - where all of those effects will be erased and I will truly be free.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very true, I am also thankful for the healing power that comes from our Savior Jesus Christ. I did not address this in this post, and I should have. Maybe my post is too narrow and only focuses on Leadership Education as a solution. I do often write in a "non-denominational" way to meet the audience of all religions.

    In the meantime, I do think it is important to recognize the affect any trauma has on learning and a person's progression through the Phases of Learning. When parents are struggling to find answers to their child's supposed lack of progression, maybe we need to look further than the "here and now" and look also to the past and possible traumas.

    Thank you for your uplifting comments! I know that all will be right in the next life and that our wounds DO heal in this life as well with the right attention to our connection with our Savior. I have come a long way. In fact, that is why I decided to address this issue. I want to help others along the way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for this. There are hurtful things in my family background that the family does not talk about. (MUST NOT talk about is the rule, or there will be bad consequences.) This post is healing for me. I know that my oldest child also has anxiety hard-wired into him from the time he was in the womb. But we have 80 years, plus or minus, to work on whatever phases we are in! We have today, to do "the next right thing," as Rachel DeMille recently posted in the TJEd FB group.

    ReplyDelete